SharePoint Dragons

Nikander & Margriet on SharePoint

Tag Archives: appfabric

Windows AppFabric Cache API

A couple of years ago we wrote an article about the different ways of accessing SharePoint list items and leveraging enterprise cache in the process: http://www.loisandclark.eu/Pages/Velocity.aspx/ . As it turns out, the contents of the article are still very actual, but the Enterprise cache sample code for the Windows AppFabric Cache (which was called Velocity at the time) needs an update, although the process didn’t actually change that much.

First of all, don’t create any secondaries anymore when creating a new cache on a single server. Instead, do this:

new-cache -CacheName myCache -Secondaries 0

Adding references to the AppFabric caching assemblies is different too:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/add-a-reference-to-the-microsoft-applicationserver-caching-client-assembly.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage

The sample code has changed as well. Signatures have changed a bit, and a couple of class names get prefixed with “Data”:

//Inspired by:
//http://www.hanselman.com/blog/InstallingConfiguringAndUsingWindowsServerAppFabricAndTheVelocityMemoryCacheIn10Minutes.aspx

//Define Array for 1 Cache Host     
List<DataCacheServerEndpoint> servers = new List<DataCacheServerEndpoint>(1);      

//Specify Cache Host Details      
//  Parameter 1 = host name    
//  Parameter 2 = cache port number     
servers.Add(new DataCacheServerEndpoint(“astro”, 22233));      

//Create cache configuration     
DataCacheFactoryConfiguration configuration = new DataCacheFactoryConfiguration();            

//Set the cache host(s)     
configuration.Servers = servers;            

//Set default properties for local cache (local cache disabled)     
configuration.LocalCacheProperties = new DataCacheLocalCacheProperties();      

//Disable tracing to avoid informational/verbose messages on the web page     
DataCacheClientLogManager.ChangeLogLevel(System.Diagnostics.TraceLevel.Off);      

//Pass configuration settings to cacheFactory constructor     
var factory = new DataCacheFactory(configuration);      

//Get reference to named cache called “default”     
//var cache = factory.GetCache(“default”);      
var cache = factory.GetCache(“c1”);

//Then create a region inside the named cache:
try
{
    cache.RemoveRegion(“testregion”);
}
catch
{
    // No region found, but that’s ok.
}

// Pass true if you want to allow the eviction of cached objects.
cache.CreateRegion(“testregion”);

cache.Put(“testregion”, “test”);

//cache.Remove(“testregion”);

Finally, start the Caching Administration Windows PowerShell command prompt and use the following PowerShell command to check out the results of the code:

Get-CacheStatistics myCache

Advertisements

Monitoring WCF services via AppFabric – note to self

Finally, after a bit of head slamming and crying: “why does this simple WCF service keeps having an empty WCF call history?” we found the answer.

First, we studied the web.config file of the service:

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”UTF-8″?>
<configuration>

  <system.web>
    <compilation debug=”true” />
    <customErrors mode=”Off” />
  </system.web>

  <system.serviceModel>

<services>
   <service name=”NikWasService.Service1″ behaviorConfiguration=”BC”>
     <endpoint address=”” binding=”wsHttpBinding” contract=”NikWasService.IService1″ />

     <endpoint address=”mex” binding=”mexHttpBinding” name=”mexHttpEndpoint” contract=”IMetadataExchange” />

   </service>
</services>

  <behaviors>
    <serviceBehaviors>
      <behavior name=”BC”>
        <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled=”true” />
        <serviceDebug includeExceptionDetailInFaults=”true” />
      </behavior>
                <behavior name=””>
                    <serviceMetadata httpGetEnabled=”true” />
                    <etwTracking profileName=”Troubleshooting Tracking Profile” />
                </behavior>
    </serviceBehaviors>
  </behaviors>
  <serviceHostingEnvironment multipleSiteBindingsEnabled=”true” />
        <diagnostics etwProviderId=”435613c0-3c9f-4a1e-aafe-7a314fbd9b0a”>
            <endToEndTracing propagateActivity=”true” messageFlowTracing=”true” />
        </diagnostics>
 
</system.serviceModel>

    <microsoft.applicationServer>
        <monitoring>
            <default enabled=”true” connectionStringName=”ApplicationServerMonitoringConnectionString” monitoringLevel=”Troubleshooting” />
        </monitoring>
    </microsoft.applicationServer>
 
</configuration>

Nothing wrong with that in particular. Double-checked that monitoring was enabled in the config file. We invoked the WCF service using the WCF Test Client. Nothing… Waited 10 seconds and tried again… Still nothing. Then, it hit us: the AppFabric Event Collection Service and Windows Event Collector services weren’t started. If nothing else, this is a note to self to insure we won’t make this mistake again!